Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Another brick in the proverbial "Wall"

This time of year for teachers is like walking on eggshells with numb feet. At any moment, one of those teacher eggs may crack and one may never know because most everyone is numb to their stresses. The kids are revved up with knowing there is only so much time left in the school year. Teachers are overworked and stressed with prepping kids for tests that supposedly reflect on what has been taught and what has been learned.  [Insert clearing of throat sound here.]

You can see the teachers trying to keep up their energy, their optimism. And then....BAM! The "wall" comes out of nowhere.

I remember one year when I was teaching seventh grade English, our assistant principal told our grade level to watch out for each other at this time of year. "If you see one of your colleagues losing it, step in. Tell them to walk away for a bit." Students don't understand how exhausting teaching is. Parents don't understand. And administrators often forget because many have not been in the classroom for so long. I can still "taste" my utter fatigue from teaching in the classroom. I haven't forgotten. It's the type of fatigue where you are up late at night, planning, grading, falling asleep with your fingers poised to type on the keyboard or with a pen in your hand pressed to paper ready to write a comment on an essay. You awaken at 3am in the same position you were working in at midnight.

Public Domain from Pixabay


The Wall

It comes in all kinds of forms: Fatigue. Stress. Emotional exhaustion. Guilt. Outside pressures.

Circumventing the Wall

For me, it's knowing I have done all I can do. At some point, I have to go to sleep at a decent hour. I'm no good if I stay up late and have to get up early to "rinse and repeat."

I'm honest with my colleagues, with my students, with my family. 

I accept limitations.

I distract myself from the wall, even if it is brief.

I run. (literally, and not away).

I seek help.

I know that the obstacle is finite; eventually, it will crumble.

No comments:

Post a Comment